My Little Corner of the World

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Reader's Advisory, What's Next?

I realize I've kind of fallen off the Learning 2.0 bandwagon lately, so hopefully this opportunity to reflect on an enjoyable and worthwhile workshop will get me back on the right track.

I thought Joyce Saricks did a wonderful job of highlighting the importance, as well as the ongoing difficulties, of serving in a reader's advisory role. Displays, staff recommendations and suggestions from other library users all serve to further connect communities with libraries.

Joyce's handouts were also really great! They offered reader's advisory strategies, as well as marketing tips for displays, that were well-developed and presented in a manner that was clear and easy to follow. I left the workshop feeling confident that I could come back to Cornelius and implement some of Joyce's suggestions and see an immediate difference in our circulation statistics for the items in our display areas. We have been putting some of Joyce's recommendations to the test by creating more thematic displays, and I've tried to pay extra attention to the fiction genres that circulate quickly and frequently from our Staff Favorites shelf in order to make this display area a success.

I would love to see PLCMC offer more workshops like this one - on relevant topics and with accessible tools and strategies that we can bring back to our branches and successfully implement.

1 Comments:

Blogger HeleneB said...

Glad to see you're back and I hope you'll continue. I've just order a huge amount MP3 players and I'd love for you to be one of the recipients. With 4 weeks left, there's plenty of time to catch-up and with nearly 300 staff members working on this, you won't be alone.

Keep on posting I know you can do it!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home